Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sandwiches

that hole that

everyone tells you about

isn’t really a hole

you see

it wants too much

really it is a tapeworm or a baby

but that isn’t right because those are

mostly stationary and chill out

around the area of the body felt as stomach

well the ladder only if you’re female and

you might know is as a fetus then but

you understand

tapeworms and babies are like where people place the hole

because hunger and holes and stomachs go together

No I am trying to argue

the hole is not a hole

but awholenother creature

so why would I do so

by describing creatures that make you feel hungry

which people have already satisfied with a whole

set of descriptions centered around holes

see the hole moves around

which isn’t very hole or tapeworm or baby-like

well babies kick and tapeworms grow

but not enough

so maybe that’s where the butterfly thing came from

but people still say they are in your stomach

like the babies and the tapeworm and the hungry hungry hole

right now the little guy or woman or women or guys or thing or

person or other animal or some arsenic-based life form we haven’t named or seen

is in my finger and I imagine what it or he or she or ze wants is not a sandwich

but our ancestors were not sure they would have sandwiches to eat

they needed to share their need for sandwiches

so maybe you would give them one

or so they could know you also needed sandwiches

which somehow almost felt like eating just to share

the little creature in my finger

knows I am a product

of millennia of sandwich eaters

past the patent of sliced bread

going all the way back to beyond

the creator of sandwiches

then further to those

who didn’t know

but knew they wanted sandwiches

whether the creature in my finger

wants a sandwich

I’m unsure

but the creature knows I’ve wanted sandwiches

so when we talk the creature uses hunger as a word

for something different and I know and he knows

at least my desire for sandwiches enough

we get somewhere

still I am sitting here with this creature in my finger

who isn’t a hole but uses holes to tell me everything

so this whole description of my creature is unnecessary

I could have told you I am perpetually in need of a sandwich

even after eating and you would have understood

creature would have done that

I could have told you I am Tantalus or the ancient mariner

or someone who read but never understood John 4:14

I could have gone the other way and played the Rolling Stones for you

we could have talked about lack and lust and how they are like holes

which would have been a way to say teehee while picturing vaginas

I’m sorry. I just have this nagging suspicion

this hunger this desire if you will

that we will never come to know the creature

not because the creature isn’t knowable but

because creature is trying

so hard to talk

in a way we understand

so we won’t be xenophobic

that we see desire and hunger

not the substance creature is composed of

which may be close to those but isn’t them at all

I am just curious what creature is

because creature is

so intimate with me

there is no one closer

and I wish creature would stop

dumbing everything down for me

so we might be more than just acquaintances

which if you are content with hunger and have

no hunger to know what hunger isn’t if hunger isn’t

would make this whole thing an unappealing sandwich

maybe even as bad as one with rancid meat or moldy bread

or maybe you just don’t like turkey

and I made you a turkey sandwich

for which I remain apologetic.

I just really don’t want to think the answer to it all

is to crush creature under sandwiches until the creature dies

or that there is no creature because that would really mean

there is a possibility of holes in this whole thing beyond perceived ones

and that leaves me with this particularly empty feeling

you might recall as horniness or thirst or maybe hunger….


Is there anything to talk about without sandwiches on the table?

No comments:

Post a Comment